Creating yeast free soups has been really easy for me, but this yeast free vegetable soup is by far the easiest that I have prepared. I used frozen vegetables and dried herbs to create this hearty candida diet friendly soup. This was my first time making vegetable soup, so I searched for some inspiration and found Martha Stewart’s Big-Batch Vegetable Soup recipe. The recipe was super easy to adapt for the candida diet. I love soups and I consider them to be a comfort food. Using a medley of vegetables and a variety of spices, as found in this soup, can help to keep meals appealing on the otherwise restrictive candida diet.
In about an hour, I had a big batch, as the original recipe’s name indicates, of yeast free soup to enjoy with my two children and a few extra servings left over. I froze the extra servings so that I could reheat when I was in need of a quick yeast free meal. I have found that one key to succeeding on the candida diet is having the appropriate food on hand when you are hungry and may not have the time to prepare a meal. Making yeast free soups and other types of meals that freeze well will help you to stay on track.
In order to make this soup in an hour you will need to have Yeast Free Vegetable Broth already prepared. Remember to read labels on the products that you use very carefully to avoid troublesome ingredients.
Ingredients That I Used in Yeast Free Vegetable Soup:
Trader Joe’s Olive Oil
Spice Classics Italian Seasoning
Diamond Crystal All Natural Fine Sea Salt
Target Market Pantry Black Ground Pepper
Pomi Chopped Tomatoes (Does not contain citric acid. I used 1 container, which is not exactly 3 cups but will do)
Cento Tomato Paste (Does not contain citric acid)
Trader Joe’s Organic Foursome Vegetables (Does not contain salt like many of the other mixed vegetable brands, I used 2 bags)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups yeast free vegetable broth
- 3 cups filtered water
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat
- Add onions, celery, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and water
- Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to a low
- Cook uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables and return to a simmer
- Cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes)
- Enjoy immediately and/or freeze leftovers for later use